Fred Hollows Foundation NZ is recruiting an experienced Ophthalmologist to join their Pacific team for 2021. This is a unique opportunity to join a growing development organisation. Join them to make a difference and help them to end avoidable blindness.
What is The Fred Hollows Foundation NZ already doing?
The Fred Hollows Foundation NZ carries on the work of a very special New Zealander, the late Professor Fred Hollows (1929-1993). They restore sight to the needlessly blind and train local eye health specialists to provide eye care services in their own communities. To find out more, visit their website: https://www.hollows.org.nz
Scope of Role:
They are recruiting a Teaching Ophthalmologist (VR Specialist) to join their Pacific-based programme at Pacific Eye Institute in Suva, Fiji in 2021 who will report directly to the Chief Consultant Ophthalmologist.
The incumbent will be a full-time faculty member and will participate in the PEI Training Programme. They will provide both service provision and mentoring for trainees, and assist with the Diploma in Ophthalmology (DO) and Masters in Medicine for Ophthalmology (MMed) training Programme for doctors. They will have particular responsibility to support the strengthening and developing of a basic vitreoretinal (VR) sub-specialty service at PEI. They will be required to assist with student management and, from time to time, as faculty for other Allied Health programmes. They will engage in an approved personal research project.
- Participate in the alignment of the academic programmes with contemporary international developments contextualized for the Pacific, in line with Fiji National University course curricula.
- Lead on the strengthening and development of VR subspecialty work at PEI.
- Participate in expanding the research capacity of PEI.
- Participate with leadership in service provision at PEI, in particular the DO and MMed training Programme and the PEI Diabetes Programme.
- Assist in the co-ordination and harmonization of visiting sub-specialists for teaching attachments.
- Provide clinical reports as required by The Fred Hollows Foundation NZ (FHFNZ) and PEI to comply with funding requirements.
The ideal candidate must have:
- Medical doctor qualifications appropriate to be registered with the Fiji Medical Council
- Developing World Ophthalmology work experience
- Significant VR sub-speciality expertise and experience
- Interest and experience in teaching, leading and mentoring Doctors and Allied Health personnel
- Phacoemulsification surgical skills and experience including the use of appropriate technology and equipment
- Commitment to sound developmental principles through local capacity building and enablement
- Desirable but not essential to be able to conduct sutureless small incision cataract surgery competency
- Willingness to travel on outreach
- Successfully worked in a culturally diverse role in the developing world
- Knowledge of the NGO sector
- Proactive approach to working in a team environment
- Capacity to work well with minimal supervision
- Ability to commit to a minimum contract of 1 year
- An excellent command of both written and spoken English
To apply for this job go to: http://fredhollows.recruitmenthub.co.nz & enter ref code: 5174606.
Applications close 07 September 2020